So I wanted to do something for the sisters that I am over in Relief Society as a thank you for a wonderful 1st year of working together. I set the date and made the invites then found out there was a stake activity on the day I picked so I had to reopen all my invites and change the date then fashionably closed them all tape put a stamp on them and mailed them out.
Then the real fun Begin. The planning and preparing and putting on this dinner. At first I wanted to hire a band but found out it would cost me $400 for the evening. Well forget that I said and went on to thinking some more. I wanted to do something special and have entertainment but my budget was on empty. Then I remembered that we had a former bishop who is a wonderful singer and has written a lot of great songs. So I sought him out and begged for him to come and entertain me and my guests. He graciously agreed and went to work to get back into practice.
Next was the meal planning. I knew what I wanted to serve but wasn't sure what my sides would be and if I just wanted it to be out on the table or make it fun. Well fun won out and so I thought some more and remembered that as a Young woman we were taught how to do these crazy dinners. I haven't done one probably since I was in YW's and so I had to research how and get advice from others to accomplish this.
A crazy mixed up dinner party goes as follows
you have to have at least 16 items on your menu including utensils plates and napkins. then you make a coded menu this can be a theme or just silly words. It doesn't matter as long as you also make an answer key for your self to follow. then you take each menu item and add 1 code word to them. When your guest arrive you explain to them that they will number there menu into 4 groups the first 4 items you want to eat will have a 1 by them the second items you want to eat will have a 2 by them and so forth until you have all 4 courses . You then explain that they will get each course as they have picked and when they are finished with there course all items on the table will be taken away . this makes it so that you can't reuse an item for another course. you may end up eating your main dish with your fingers and your drinks with a spoon you may get a plate at the end and have the rest of the food on the table who knows. some one may get an entire course of utensils and nothing else. It all depends on how they number there menu.
Now service. I would suggest if you want to join the party to have someone else serve for you. However, if you want to be the server then make sure you eat before the party or after it is over so you can focus on your guest. You take each persons menu into the kitchen and fill there course of food then serve. do this until everyone has had all 4 courses of dinner. enjoy .
Dan and I had also happened to have had our 15 year anniversary this week as well and so this ended up being our special evening alone to celebrate our love for each other. The songs Brother Webb picked were perfect for this . They were all love songs and I am grateful for that. It was like Dan and I had our own private concert and we were able to sit on the couch relax and enjoy the company of everyone there. It was a magical evening.
 |
Ian helping me to set up and yes those are garbage sacks on the chairs
|
 |
| orange chocolate moose |
 |
| the top of the moose was a cookie and a chocolate orange stick |
 |
| our salad |
 |
| our garlic baked potatoes |
 |
| le chicken cordon bleu |
 |
| mixed veggies |
 |
| cheese and broccoli soup |
 |
| Bettys home made yummy wheat rolls |
 |
| our guests Dan, Ed, Betty, Cindy-Lee, Louette, Tanya, Audrey and Dave |
 |
| Louette and Tanya between courses |
 |
| Louettes final course |
 |
| Betty and Cindy-lee having conversations |
 |
| Dave waiting on his wife Audrey while Louette and Tanya clean up there place |
 |
| our pink ladies |
 |
| the amazing gutarist Jim Webb who also helped with dinner service |
 |
| Cindy-Lee, Louette and Betty listening to the music |
 |
| Ed, Audrey and Dave listening to the music |
 |
| Tanya, Dave and Audrey relaxing and enjoying the music |
It was a wonderful evening and I am truely greatful I get to work with these sisters in Relief Sociaty each and every week
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home