carry on
this is Dan's ancestor as well. His mom told a story of Grandma Fox when she came acrossed the planes from England she entered the salt lake valley and said, " WE CAME ALL THE WAY FOR THIS?" She was disappointed but became a great leader and a wonderful legacy was passed on to each of her ancestors
The words to the tune you are listening to were written by our ancestor, Ruth May Fox. The words of this song hold a special place in our hearts and minds. As we go through life, in good times and bad, we are reminded to "Carry On." For the words and further information, see below on this page.
"Carry On"
The Words
The Story
The Words for "Carry On"
Firm as the mountains around us, Stalwart and brave we standOn the rock our fathers planted For us in this goodly land;The rock of honor and virtue, Of faith in the living God.They raised his banner triumphant Over the desert sod. (Chorus)
We'll build on the rock they planted A palace to the King;Into its shining corridors Our songs of praise we'll bringFor the heritage they left us, Not of gold or worldly wealth,But a blessing everlasting Of love and joy and health. (Chorus)
Chorus
And we hear the desert singing Carry on, carry on, carry on!Hills and vales and mountains ringing, Carry on, carry on, carry on!Holding aloft our colors, We march in the glorious dawn.O Youth of the noble birthright, Carry On, Carry On, Carry On!
The Story Of "Carry On"
An invitation had been sent throughout the Church for a song, words and music, which would be appropriate for the M-Men and Gleaners to sing at the Conference for the Mutual Improvement Association (M.I.A.) scheduled in June, 1930, the Centennial Year of the Church. A number of songs were submitted, but none was quite what had been hoped for. At a meeting of the Executive Officers of the M.I.A., the subject was discussed with some concern as the time was getting short. The meeting closed about noon, and Sister Fox was heard to say, "I guess I'll have to see what I can do." Sister Van Noy recalls, "That same afternoon she came and said, "Elsie will you type this up?" It was the lyrics to "Carry On." Next morning she brought the song, having changed only one word, and asked me to make several copies." Sister Raylon remarked, "I walked through the office of Sister Fox and she handed me a sheet of paper, saying, 'Ray, how is this for the song?' I was thrilled." But the music was needed. Brother Alfred Durham was invited by Sister Taylor to compose the music for "Carry On." A few days later he called on Sister Fox. They went to a piano where Brother Durham played his composition. For some time they went over the song together. After this interview, Sister Fox remarked, "The music is lovely, just what I had in mind, something lively and catchy, a tune everyone can sing easily." The song was introduced to the Church at the M-Men and Gleaner Session of the M.I.A. Conference, June 8, 1930, where the entire program was by M-Men and Gleaners. One M-Man, J. Harold Keddington, was the chorister, and another, Lorin F. Wheelwright, was the organist. Early in the program the song was sung by the M-Men and Gleaners, who filled the body of the Tabernacle. While singing the words in the chorus, "Holding aloft our colors," etc, they raised their programs (half being green and half gold) and waved them in rhythm with the words, "Carry On, Carry On, Carry On." Then, as the song concluded, the entire congregation participated in singing "Carry On."
Where Did The Inspiration Come From?
On one occasion Sister Fox said, "One day Brother George F. Richards asked me, 'How did you get the inspiration to write that song?', and I replied, 'It came so easy I think it was inspired.' " Following a remark that "The music does much for the song", Brother Durham responded, "The music was inspired by the words."
Other Comments
Elsie Hogan Van Noy: "I like to tell people I was the first one to read and to copy 'Carry On.' I am sure it was inspired. The entire circumstance bears out that feeling."
J.Harold Keddington: "Whenever I hear 'Carry On' I like to tell people I directed that song the first time it was sung by a congregation."
Final Tribute
As a final tribute to Ruth May Fox, April 15, 1958, seventy-five of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren closed her funeral service by singing "Carry On." It was both a tribute and a promise. This chorus was also directed by J. Harold Keddington with Lorin F. Wheelwright as organist.
The words to the tune you are listening to were written by our ancestor, Ruth May Fox. The words of this song hold a special place in our hearts and minds. As we go through life, in good times and bad, we are reminded to "Carry On." For the words and further information, see below on this page.
"Carry On"
The Words
The Story
The Words for "Carry On"
Firm as the mountains around us, Stalwart and brave we standOn the rock our fathers planted For us in this goodly land;The rock of honor and virtue, Of faith in the living God.They raised his banner triumphant Over the desert sod. (Chorus)
We'll build on the rock they planted A palace to the King;Into its shining corridors Our songs of praise we'll bringFor the heritage they left us, Not of gold or worldly wealth,But a blessing everlasting Of love and joy and health. (Chorus)
Chorus
And we hear the desert singing Carry on, carry on, carry on!Hills and vales and mountains ringing, Carry on, carry on, carry on!Holding aloft our colors, We march in the glorious dawn.O Youth of the noble birthright, Carry On, Carry On, Carry On!
The Story Of "Carry On"
An invitation had been sent throughout the Church for a song, words and music, which would be appropriate for the M-Men and Gleaners to sing at the Conference for the Mutual Improvement Association (M.I.A.) scheduled in June, 1930, the Centennial Year of the Church. A number of songs were submitted, but none was quite what had been hoped for. At a meeting of the Executive Officers of the M.I.A., the subject was discussed with some concern as the time was getting short. The meeting closed about noon, and Sister Fox was heard to say, "I guess I'll have to see what I can do." Sister Van Noy recalls, "That same afternoon she came and said, "Elsie will you type this up?" It was the lyrics to "Carry On." Next morning she brought the song, having changed only one word, and asked me to make several copies." Sister Raylon remarked, "I walked through the office of Sister Fox and she handed me a sheet of paper, saying, 'Ray, how is this for the song?' I was thrilled." But the music was needed. Brother Alfred Durham was invited by Sister Taylor to compose the music for "Carry On." A few days later he called on Sister Fox. They went to a piano where Brother Durham played his composition. For some time they went over the song together. After this interview, Sister Fox remarked, "The music is lovely, just what I had in mind, something lively and catchy, a tune everyone can sing easily." The song was introduced to the Church at the M-Men and Gleaner Session of the M.I.A. Conference, June 8, 1930, where the entire program was by M-Men and Gleaners. One M-Man, J. Harold Keddington, was the chorister, and another, Lorin F. Wheelwright, was the organist. Early in the program the song was sung by the M-Men and Gleaners, who filled the body of the Tabernacle. While singing the words in the chorus, "Holding aloft our colors," etc, they raised their programs (half being green and half gold) and waved them in rhythm with the words, "Carry On, Carry On, Carry On." Then, as the song concluded, the entire congregation participated in singing "Carry On."
Where Did The Inspiration Come From?
On one occasion Sister Fox said, "One day Brother George F. Richards asked me, 'How did you get the inspiration to write that song?', and I replied, 'It came so easy I think it was inspired.' " Following a remark that "The music does much for the song", Brother Durham responded, "The music was inspired by the words."
Other Comments
Elsie Hogan Van Noy: "I like to tell people I was the first one to read and to copy 'Carry On.' I am sure it was inspired. The entire circumstance bears out that feeling."
J.Harold Keddington: "Whenever I hear 'Carry On' I like to tell people I directed that song the first time it was sung by a congregation."
Final Tribute
As a final tribute to Ruth May Fox, April 15, 1958, seventy-five of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren closed her funeral service by singing "Carry On." It was both a tribute and a promise. This chorus was also directed by J. Harold Keddington with Lorin F. Wheelwright as organist.

1 Comments:
At July 24, 2008 at 3:02 PM ,
Mary said...
Wow! I have missed a lot with you in the last week or so! Sorry to hear about everyone being sick. Poor little Will getting all those tests. Yuck!
What a great family legacy! I love Carry On.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home